Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

a little something......


I am always in need of extra little gifts during Christmas time....and I love giving handmade treasures that your special recipients can use throughout the home. I love burning candles....but thought I would whip up something a bit different than the norm and decided upon some fragrance jelly jars. These are soooo easy peasy to whip up....a perfect craft to do with the kiddos as a last minute gift.

You will need.....

clean jelly jars 
4 packets unflavored gelatin 
food coloring (if desired)
fragrance or essential oils
water
salt 


First start by getting your glass jars ready for the mixture. I had some small canning jars on hand.


Now....take 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil. You can either do this on your stove top or in the microwave. As soon as the water starts to boil remove water from the heat and add 4 envelopes of unflavored gelatin into the water and begin to stir to dissolve the gelatin thoroughly. While your gelatin is dissolving you can go ahead and add some food coloring to your empty jars as well as the essential oils or fragrance oils. I used only 2 drops of food coloring to each jar and added 2 small capfuls of fragrance in each jar. I used candle making fragrances that you can find anywhere online or at your local craft store.


Now pour 1 cup of cold water and 1 tablespoon of salt into your gelatin water mixture and stir. Pour into your jars of color and fragrance and stir carefully. They will foam a bit....not to worry it will disappear. I like to go ahead and refrigerate them to set them up a bit quicker. I added a frosty pink scent to my jars....hence the green tinting.  You can add a tulle or lace bit to the tops....tie some pretty ribbon around each one.....and viola'....and instant gift. Merry Christmas everyone....peace to you all!

Ellen

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. I don't think they sell plain gelatin in Kuwait. A friend wanted to make candles for Christmas but we can't even find candle wax. :/ Happy holidays! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete